On this longer tour of the region, you have even more chances to connect with wildlife.
Polar bears, whales, walrus and reindeer consider this home, as do seabirds by the tens of thousands. Hiking the tundra is a breathtaking experience, the landscape exhilarating and so striking. See the best Spitsbergen has to offer you via the western edge of the island, plus a few outlying northern regions.
Duration: 11 days
Embarks: Longyearbyen, Norway
Disembarks: Longyearbyen, Norway
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
Day 1 | Embarkation day in Longyearbyen, Norway
Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island’s largest settlement. As you embark, you’ll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside village.
Days 2 to 10 | Exploring Spitsbergen
Explore western Spitsbergen as well as stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar deserts to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife. You’ll cruise around this magical island located above the Arctic Circle, and your Expedition Team will be constantly searching for wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities, so we have no fixed itinerary; however, we do hope to visit some of our favorite destinations, including the 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Phippsøya, Alkhornet and the Hinlopen Strait.
The destinations visited will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. Polar bear viewing is more likely here than almost anywhere else, with Phippsøya being one of their preferred hunting areas, since the towering cliffs of Alkefjellet provide many free bird egg meals for both them and the arctic fox.
Torellneset and Phippsøya are great places for walrus photography. Coming across
a walrus haul-out is a moment you won’t soon forget. These giant pinnipeds of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you’re itching to get a little closer to the action, you can book the kayaking option and take an excursion to the more isolated pockets of Spitsbergen. At Smeerenburg, you can visit a memorial erected in 1906. This historic site honors the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme arctic conditions.
In Spitsbergen, there is no shortage of natural beauty. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day, you’ll see something new, whether it is a rare bird species or an abandoned site from centuries ago.
Day 11 | Depart Longyearbyen
The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we’ll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
YOUR SPITSBERGEN EXPEDITION INCLUDES
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
• All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board
• Beer and wine during dinner
• All shore landings per the daily program
• Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
• All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
• Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled
• Photographic journal documenting the expedition
• Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
• Official Expeditions® parka to keep
• Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
• Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
• Comprehensive onboard materials,
including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• All luggage handling aboard the ship
• All gratuities
• Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person
• Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation
• Transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship on embarkation day
• Group transfer from the ship to Longyearbyen airport or a designated drop-off location downtown on disembarkation day
THIS EXPEDITION EXCLUDES
• International airfare
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance— strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Optional kayaking activities
• The prices are per person expressed in US Dollars.
Contact us to receive more info about this trip. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
If you don’t receive an answer within 24-48hs, please check on your Spam.
THE POLAR TRAVEL COMPANY LLC
8175 NW 12 ST #130
Doral, FL 33126
Miami - Dade, Florida
Tel: +1 786 352 8686
Bulnes 1319, Buenos Aires.
Tel: +54 9 11 62532677
4° C, Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego.
Tel: +54 9 249 457 3920
|Write us via WhatsApp|